Friday, February 25, 2005

Emotional Twilight Zone of the Brain Dead Zombies

After driving back to Atlanta from Little Rock through the pouring rain I finally arrived home around 11 p.m. EST feeling like I was drained of all capabilities to think or feel anything. Yet, I was up by 5 a.m. the next morning going over the nearly 300 work e-mails that have accumulated during my absence of the last 11 days. I found myself merely clicking and staring without comprehending much of what was being said. The only things that stood out were the glaring lack of apparent support I've had from my staff while I was gone. More on this later, I am sure.

I went through the motions of getting ready for work and dreading trying to concentrate beyond my own skull. I spent much of my day shuffling papers in an attempt to organize an overwhelming workload and unable to pick up my phone to talk with anyone for fear of getting too involved or being unable to speak without choking up. Staring blankly at my computer screen and counting the ceiling tiles doesn't get a lot accomplished, I found.

I also discovered I was more tired than I think I may have ever been in my life. Tired to the bone, as they say. Tired and drained emotionally (how many times have I cried over the last several weeks? How many times SHOULD I have cried over the last several weeks?). Exhausted to the point of mental shutdown beyond the basic functions necessary to keep my heart beating and my lungs breathing. Seriously tired.

My loving wife recommended an early bedtime after drinking some chamomile and valerian root tea and I took the opportunity without hesitation. I slept better than I had in several weeks and am feeling much better today. However, the work is still almost insurmountable and intimidating but I think a lot of that is because my head still isn't screwed on straight. Hopefully, I will make some headway today and use the weekend to do some more catch up and resting. Is it possible to catch up on work AND rest at the same instance?

No comments: